Saturday, May 17, 2008

warm and fuzzy

Had Claire and Meera & Fran over for dinner last night. I never have dinner guests, but I'm not sure why--I love cooking for other people. Made a mixed green salad with halved grape tomatoes, avocado and an apple cider vinaigrette with some fresh rosemary and thyme; channa masala (my old standby, but with less tomato juice in it) and wild rice topped with whole milk yogurt; and these super delicious George Foreman Grill-pressed sandwiches of gruyere and carmelized onions on sourdough, after a sandwich Ari had described having at 'wichcraft. Meera had made a really tasty strawberry-rhubarb cobbler and whipped cream, so we followed dinner with that, and then I boiled up some of the sassafras root I harvested last week in Central Park on a walk with "Wildman" Steve Brill, and we had some tea. It was kind of licorice-y and a little mentholated. After all that, we played Squabble and I impressed myself and others by transforming "MASS" into "SWAMIS".

Dinner parties are so fun! Only successful if the guests all get along and have things to say to each other, which they did, in this case. Though I'm convinced that Claire is just really good at making interesting conversation--and reserving choice stories for varying occasions, so that the fact that she was raised in a cult only became known to me last night, six years into knowing her! That was a good hunk of fascinatia for the night.

I'm so happy to have such cool friends! And I hope I get to have a lot more dinner parties in this house--it's particularly good for entertaining.

No comments: