Monday, May 5, 2008

every day i wind the coil

I went for a swim this evening and discovered that I'm alarmingly out of shape. I was exhausted after 20 minutes and had the good sense not to push myself past my doughy limits for fear of collapse. I walked home, dazed and high from all the oxygen, and then I practiced the banjo and made this and fell in love with myself for being able to follow a recipe. Then I proceeded to ooh and ahh over Karen's bag-ripened mangos, which are still in my teeth.

But whatever discipline and sagacity I exercised at the gym didn't transfer to the home environment, because I started futzing with the tuning on the banjo after dinner. And when I tightened the fourth string too tightly and it popped like a gunshot, it was like I had pulled the trigger on myself. Now I can't play The Crawdad Song no more, at least until I buy me some new strings.

Lesson learned for the night: Be aware of limits, when to push them, when not to, and when to leave well enough alone.

No comments: