Friday, April 16, 2010

thank you, art

Today was the fourth consecutive day I spent alone in the office. This week at work reminded me of sticking around school for an extracurricular commitment after the end of the school year--everyone else is now on to other things, but here I am, unable to move on. At the end of the workday, I went to the MoMA. God damn, there is some HEAVY DUTY ART there right now. I had forgotten about the William Kentridge exhibit--amazing, inspiring, enviable art making. He is so impressive because he is so prolific with work that is both rich with content and formally rigorous. There was also a collection of Picasso's drawings that I hadn't known about and had planned to just scan, but which were SO AMAZING too. That dude seriously knew how to move his hand. Some of his curvier drawings of mythological figures having sex just blew me away. Then there was the Marina Abramovich show, the big sexy show they have now because there's nudity in it--and it was very good, solid work, too. AND there is also the Henri Cartier Bresson retrospective, too--what!--which was also amazing. I found myself walking into each gallery feeling like there was so much amazing art there that I really just couldn't process any of it, so why bother? So I walked around with a big grin on my face because that is a real embarrassment of riches, and i felt grateful for being so spoiled today.

The crowds were thick, and I left ten minutes early to try to spare myself some of the chaos of the mass eviction I knew was coming. I had a sandwich down the street and rode the train home listening again and again to the Shins' 'Gone for Good,' trying to suss out the harmonies in it but constantly failing to hear them or to untangle them from the lead vocals. Came home and tried singing them out to the song--still hard. Played around with the banjo, trying to find the chords for that song. Flummoxed at the minor chords accompanying the chorus. Fingers are tender from not having pressed down on steel string for a while. Feels good.

No comments: